Goals & Responsibilities

  • Effective Service:  Code Enforcement will maintain an accountable, transparent, responsive, and fiscally responsible program by tracking and meeting performance measurements and improving business processes.
  • Education:  Code Enforcement will seek to explain the purpose of regulations to foster the community support and envolvement of the citizens of St. Marys to help identiy solutions in an effort to assist individuals with voluntary compliance.
  • Enforce Regulations:  Code Enforcement will seek to resolve violations through voluntary compliance.  In the absence of compliance, the staff will pursue other remedies to achieve adherence to code or ordinance.


  • Unsafe StructureUnsafe Structures/Dilapidated Structures: When the City receives a complaint regarding an unsafe structure, an inspection is made by the Building Inspector and Code Enforcement Officer to determine if the structure is unsafe.  If the structure is deemed unsafe and can be repaired, the property owner would be required to submit for a building permit and make the necessary repairs. If the cost to repair the structure is more than half of the value of the building, and the owner does not wish to repair the structure, they can remove the structure or the Planning Department will proceed to have it removed as a dilapidated structure.

  • Construction Related Code Violations After Issuance of the Certificate of Occupany:  A Certificate of Occupancy is a document issued by a local government agency or building department certifying a building's compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for occupancy. If the City receives a complaint for a code violation after the completion of the structure and the Certificate of Occupancy has been issued, these complaints are to be addressed by the Code Enforcement Officer.

  • Unlicensed Motor Vehicles on Private Property:  Except as provided for in other regulations, no inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Painting of vehicles is prohibited unless conducted inside an approved spray booth.

  • Towing Services:  It is unlawful for any towing service, located in or outside St. Marys, to operate in the City of St. Marys without registering with the Code Enforcement Officer. 

  • Exterior Property (Weeds, Unkempt Pools, Etc.):  The City of St. Marys observes the ICC PropPoolerty Maintenance Code.  The Code Enforcement Officer is the contact in enforcing overgrown grass on lots which can create hazardous, unsafe and unhealthy conditions and constitute a public nuisance.  Overgrown lots create a breeding place for mosquitoes, a refuge for rats and snakes and a collecting place for trash and litter.  If it is determined that a property is not in compliance, they will be notified by certified mail that they will have ten days to address the complaint or be cited for non-compliance. 
  • Insects & Rodents:  The Property Maintenance Code states that all structures shall be kept free from insect and rodent infestation.  All structures in which insects or rodents are found shall be promptly exterminated by approved processes and continue with the proper precautions to prevent re-infestation.
  • ChickensAnimal Complaints (Non-Domestic Farm Animals):  Non-domestic farm animals, other than laying hens, are not permitted in residential and commercial zones.  A permit is available for a property owner/tenant to have up to five laying hens if all permit requirements are met.  

  • Inhabited Structures without Water/Sewer/Trash Service:  The City of St. Marys requires structures that are connected to the City water and sewer system make application for services.  When an individual or family is living in a structure where water, sewer and trash service is available, and have not made application for water, sewer or trash service, they are forwarded to the Code Enforcement Officer to be addressed as a code violation.

  • TrashLittering and Illegal Dumping:  Section 70-15 of the St. Marys Ordinances states that all kinds of garbage, trash, debris and junk including kitchen waste, glass, cans, plastic or paper containers, newspapers, magazines, slag, gravel, construction materials, dead animals, abandoned motor vehicles and parts thereof, discarded furniture and appliances, leaves and other garden waste and other refuse and discarded matter of every kind and description would be classified as litter.  Littering would include public and private property which is open to view from public property or other private property.

  • Abandoned Signs, Banners, & Flags:  The St. Marys Ordinance states that temporary signage is permitted by issuance of a sign permit for a period not exceeding ten consecutive days, not to be issued to the same lot at less than four month intervals.  By ordinance, a sign is considered abandoned when the business is no longer in operation, does not have a current Occupational Tax certificate in effect, or within 30 days of the closure of the business.  All abandoned signs that meet the definition of a pylon sign shall be removed within 60 days from the date of discontinuance.  All abandoned signs that meet the definition of a window sign, wall sign, off-premises directional sign, marquee or canopy sign, temporary sign requiring a permit, or temporary sign shall be removed within ten days from the date of discontinuance.  The Code Enforcement Officer and Planning Department address all complaints or questions regarding signage.

  • Solicitors/Street Vendors:  Without having first registered with the Planning Department, obtaining a permit and paying the appropriate fee, no temporary sales or solicitor or street vendor may undertake any activity in St. Marys.  When a complaint is received or when the Code Enforcement Officer sees individuals selling items roadside or door to door sales, the Code Enforcement Officer verifies whether they have obtained a permit from the Planning Department.  If they have not obtained a permit, they are required to discontinue sales until a permit has been obtained.

  • Signs Placed in the City Right-of-Way:  State law prohibits the placement of any sign on city right-of-ways, including political signs.

  • Adult Entertainment:  The St. Marys Code of Ordinances states that it is unlawful for unlawful for any person, association, partnership or corporation to engage in, conduct or carry on in or upon any premises within the city any of the adult entertainment establishments defined in this article without a permit so to do.  Any violation of this ordinance would be addressed by the Code Enforcement Officer.